Half a day could easily be spent wandering around this sprawling covered market, sometimes called by its old British name, Scott Market. It has more than 2000 shops and the largest selection of Myanmar handicrafts and souvenirs you’ll find, from lacquerware and Shan shoulder bags to puppets and jewellery. It’s also a good place to find tailors.
The Sule Paya is a small pagoda located in the center of Yangon. The pagoda, known in Burmese as the Kyaik Athok Zedi, is surrounded by busy streets, a market and colonial era buildings like the Supreme court building and Yangon city hall.
According to legend the pagoda was built during the lifetime of the Gautama Buddha, about 2,500 years ago. The pagoda was much smaller at the time. It has been renovated and enlarged several times by later Kings. The paya reached its present height when it was renovated halfway the 15th century.
This park offers pleasant strolling in the heart of the downtown area and views of surrounding heritage buildings, including City Hall, the High Court and the old Rowe & Co department store, now a bank.
The park’s most notable feature is the Independence Monument, a 165ft white obelisk surrounded by two concentric circles of chinthe (half-lion, half-dragon deities). There’s also a children’s playground.
Junction City is an integrated development located at the junction of Bogyoke Aung San Road and Shwedagon Pagoda Road. Junction City has Singapore’s Keppel Land, Pan Pacific Hotels Group and New Asia Investments as joint venture partners in the office tower, hotel, retail and serviced residences components respectively.
St. Mary’s Cathedral is situated on Bo Aung Kyaw Street in Botahtaung Township, Yangon, Myanmar. It was designed by Dutch architect. Construction began in 1895 and was completed in 1899. The interior of the Cathedral is richly decorated with some outstanding examples of featured exquisite stained glass windows.
The Botataung Pagoda on the banks of the river in downtown Yangon is one of the city’s most highly revered temples. The 40 meter high golden pagoda enshrines a sacred hair relic of the Buddha.
The Botataung Pagoda, also spelled Botahtaung Pagoda was built some 2,500 years ago by the Mon people. In the second World War the pagoda was destroyed during an airforce bombing mission aimed at the nearby docks. Rebuilding started in 1948 following the original design.
In the center of the tiled platform stands the main stupa surrounded by a a number of smaller stupas. The main stupa is the unique feature of the Botataung monastery; it enshrines the sacred Buddha relic and it is hollow and open to the public.
Seated on a high pedestal in a very ornate pavilion is the Royal Palace Bronze Buddha image. The image that was cast in 1859 by order of King Mindon was taken to Britain during the colonial years and returned to Burma a few years after gaining independence.
entrally located in downtown Yangon. The Yangon City Hall building is considered to be a fine example of Myanmar architecture.
The building is roofed by pyatthat, traditional tiered roofs and the building was designed by Burmese architect U Tin. The construction of this building started in 1926 and ended in 1936. The building is enlisted on the Yangon City Heritage List and it occupies the former site of the Ripon Hall.